Sunday, August 12, 2012

Best Homemade Pancakes Ever! And They're Healthy Too!

My kids and I have established a tradition of Pancake Friday, making pancakes nearly every Friday for the past 5 years. I started out with your basic Bisquick box pancakes, which taste good though aren't necessarily the healthiest or cheapest way to go about eating pancakes every Friday. So I searched all over the web, experimented and concocted recipe after recipe of flat, stale, dry, chewy pancakes. Until...a friend of mine, Renee Samson, clued me in on a family recipe that included adding yogurt to the batter for the most moist, delicious fluffy pancakes I've ever tasted. My kids all loved them AND one of my biggest food critics (my husband) even prefers my pancakes to any other pancake out there now. I've modified a bit and this is the recipe I make every Friday, adding fruits, chocolate chips or even homemade granola to switch things up a bit.

Recipe 
2 c flour (I've used bleached, unbleached, whole wheat....all work well)
2T baking powder
2T raw sugar
pinch sea salt (for an extra boost of trace minerals-magnesium, potassium, calcium)
2 eggs beaten
1c milk (I use 1%)
1c yogurt (homemade yogurt is best though store bought will work)
2T melted coconut oil

Wisk together the dry ingredients.
Mix wet ingredients together, I warm the mixture a bit to keep the coconut oil from solidifying when added to the cold milk/yogurt/egg.
Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well, smoothing out the lumps but not over wisking.
Ladle pancake batter into a med-low heated griddle, pan or skillet.  The temp may vary depending on your stovetop, we use gas and I find that keeping the heat at medium-low is perfect.  I love to use a cast iron skillet because it provides just a tad extra iron to our diets and evenly cooks the pancakes. Watch for the bubbles on the top of the pancake to pop and the sides of the pancake start to dry. Flip and cook for just a bit longer on the other side to make sure the pancake is cooked all of the way through.
Can freeze excess pancakes and reheat them in the toaster or microwave!

No comments:

Post a Comment